sometimes I encounter strange phenomena. I hove no idea if that’s only me, but I suspect so, because I couldn’t find anything of help on the web (maybe because searching for “fusion ^” is not a good idea).
So what’s happened? One of my machines runs lion and for VA Smalltalk related work I have to use Win XP on that device. For that I use vmware fusion 4. On that machine, I cannot enter the caret. It just is ignored. I do run the same version of vmware fusion, win XP and VA Smalltalk on a snow leopard Mac as well and there I have no problems at all. Pressing the ^ button simply works there.
I cannot tell you how annoying it is to try program in Smalltalk with no chance to enter a caret, because it is Smalltalk’s return statement 😦 I have to use the screen keaboard application for that and sometimes feel a bit like a clown when I do so.
So my options are:
- Hope for somebody with some insight out there to read this post and help me
- Contact vmware and hope they help me
- Look at alternatives to fusion (maybe virtualbox is not the worst idea here)
- buy me a windows box to run VA ST (didn’t lenovo just show a nice touchscreen machine that looks beautiful and may be a nice base for Windows 8?)
- hope for Instantiations to port VA ST to the Mac
I guess not all of them are equally likely to happen, nor is my sympathy for all of them equally unlimited. Maybe I’ll start with the first two, followed by the third and somewhere in the back of my head not forget about the last one 😉